Thursday, July 5, 2007

The Great American Sport

Yesterday I witnessed history in the making. In the titan clash of man vs. hot dog, Joey Chestnut rose above all others to set a new world record: 66 hot dogs and buns in 12 minutes. The humble lad from San Jose, California restored America's pride and joy by defeating the six-time champion Takeru Kobayashi in a dramatic upset. Even now as I pen this tale, salty tears of joy fill my eyes and the sweet smell of American victory caresses my nostrils.

Long story short, it was a great day. I got to see about 300 hot dogs get eaten in 12 minutes, there were people wearing straw boater hats, and I got to scream, "USA! USA! USA" until I was hoarse. Heck, I even got to eat a funnel cake for lunch!

I will say this, though-- Coney Island attracts a strange crowd...

No comments: